Union of Parents of People with Disabilities of Signaghi (PWD)
Union of Parents of People with Disabilities (PWD) of Signaghi was founded on February 20, 2018 by the professionals and the parents of people with disabilities in the framework of the project Movement for Change. The goals of the organization are:
- Socialization of disabled people. Increasing the participation of people with disabilities in public life.
- Supporting people with disabilities to receive services tailored to their needs.
- Raising public awareness about disabled people.
- To help people with disabilities to get education.
- Psychological support people with disabilities and their parents.
- To support persons with disabilities in employment.
- Identification of individual needs of persons with disabilities and support in problem solving.
The most important steps taken by the organization:
- 21 March – World Down Syndrome Day. The purpose of this event was raising public awareness about disabled people. This was our first public activity.
- In 2019-2020, we created a database of persons with disabilities, which describes the needs and capabilities of the people. Based on the database, 1204 disabled people live in Sighnaghi municipality.
- In 2018, we rented a house where PWD and their parents were able to get out of their house, make friends, get a job, overcame their fears and realized their importance in public life, shared their ideas and set goals.
- Within the framework of the project – “advocacy for the employment of disabled people and their parents”, disabled people and their parents learned to work with felt, determine the price of manufactured items. Received training in personal development (2021).
- We created a social enterprise “House for their future”, where parents of disabled people created room and yard decorations and other handicrafts (2021).
- Within the framework of the project “Development of social tourism in the Kakheti region”, we purchased woodworking machines.
- We trained four parents in woodworking with our own funds. If desired, parents can work in our enterprise (2022).
- On October 1, 2022, a day care center for disabled children was officially opened in a rented house. 19 children with disabilities from 6 to 18 years old attend the day care center. In the day care center, individual plans are formed, taking into account the child’s abilities. In the day center, children develop the following skills: social-emotional, cognitive, motor, behavioral, creative, etc.
- In 2021, we started the “House for their future” campaign and we were collecting money to buy a house. We realized the importance of our own space for our activities. Unfortunately, we had to leave the rented house earlier than we expected and the money raised in the campaign was not enough to buy the house. Therefore, we had to take more responsibility in order not to stop our activities. We bought the house with a bank loan, which we will cover with our own income.
- 2023 – In order to continue our activities, it is necessary to arrange and adapt the building. Owned and adapted premises will enable us to create and deliver the following services to beneficiaries: Rehabilitation center services, early development program.